Frequently Asked Questions

Water damage can occur in many ways. Flooding from a natural disaster like a hurricane is not uncommon in Florida. Other common causes are broken pipes, sink or tub overflows, leaking appliances, air conditioning condensation, clogged drains toilets, or even sewage back up. Any amount of water damage can also put your home at risk for dangerous mold.

Water damage can be as simple as a backed-up toilet than can easily be addressed to flooding of your entire home. Some of the common effects of water damage are:

  • Water stains and ruined carpets and drapes
  • Structural damage like wood rot, or collapsing ceilings or floors
  • Destroyed furniture and other possessions
  • Dangerous mold growth

Water damage should be addressed as soon as it is detected to avoid further damage and prevent health hazards. Ambar Mold Remediation offers 24/7 emergency service to walk you through this stressful and dangerous time. Our local water damage repair crew is IICRC licensed and fully bonded. Our trained technicians will immediately inspect the damage and address the issue. We are trained in helping people through these emergencies and minimizing long term damage. Call our emergency hotline at 954-821-0146.

A certified water restoration specialist will have the training and equipment to quickly address your damage. Steps include:

  • Identify the source of the problem and stop the leak.
  • Remove any standing water from flooring, carpets and other materials.
  • Remove any furniture or possessions that are at risk.
  • Use commercial grade dehumidifiers and other equipment to dry out the area.
  • Ambar Mold Restoration uses special moisture meters and thermal imaging cameras if necessary to ensure the complete home is dry.
  • Remove and soiled drywall, manage carpet cleaning, wood floor repairs, deodorization, air duct cleaning.
  • Mold removal and remediation as needed.

Mold is very common in buildings and homes, especially in Florida. Mold is a toxin that is a result of excess moisture. It can develop as quickly as within 24-48 hours. It is commonly found following water damage or leaks and will grow on wood products, paper products, and documents, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, paint, drywall, insulation, fabric, and upholstery.

Mold is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and pets and can be carried indoors. When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow.

Many building materials provide suitable nutrients that encourage mold to grow. Wet cellulose materials, including paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, are particularly conducive for the growth of some molds. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery, commonly support mold growth.

Mold can often be spotted visually, and gives off a damp odor. Your Ambar Mold Restoration specialist will know where to look for mold and how to test for it.

Black molds are toxigenic, which means they release toxins called mycotoxins that can be irritating or harmful to people with preexisting conditions. Some common symptoms are coughing, wheezing, nose stuffiness, itchy eyes, or itchy skin. People with allergies may experience headaches, fatigue, sinusitis, or coughing. Fever or breathing difficulties. Long-term exposure can lead to additional symptoms. Medical professionals do not conclusively agree on the effects of mold, but you should take steps to prevent it and remove it immediately. For more detailed information, contact your health professional.

Older adults, young children or people with allergies will be most sensitive to mold.

People with immune suppression or underlying lung disease are more susceptible to fungal infections. Individuals with chronic respiratory disease (e.g., a chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune system issues are at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment.

Inspection for any evidence of water damage and visible mold should be part of your routine maintenance and cleaning. Correct any conditions that are conducive to mold like water leaks, condensation, infiltration or leaks.

In your home, take these steps to control the growth of mold.

  • Monitor your humidity levels
  • Promptly repair and leaks – pipes, roofs, windows, etc
  • Professional and thorough cleaning and drying after flooding
  • Properly vent shower, laundry and cooking areas.
  • Inspect appliances regularly for leaks

Our guidelines:

  • Keep humidity levels as low as you can—between 30% and 50%–all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Bear in mind that humidity levels change over the course of a day with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day.
  • Use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months.
  • Be sure your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans which vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
  • Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
  • Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.

Mold growing in homes and buildings indicates that there is a problem with water or moisture. This is the first problem to address.

Remove moldy items from living areas.  Once mold starts to grow in carpet, insulation, ceiling tiles, drywall, or wallboard, the only way to deal with the problem is by removal and replacement.

It is important to properly clean and dry the area as you can still have an allergic reaction to parts of the dead mold and mold contamination may recur if there is still a source of moisture.

Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly.

Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24-48 hours) after any flooding.  Dig out mud and dirt.  Use a wet vacuum to remove the remaining dirt. Scrub cleanable surfaces (such as wood, tile, and stone) with soapy water and a bristle brush.  Thoroughly clean all hard surfaces (such as flooring, molding, wood, and metal furniture, countertops, and sinks) with water and dish detergent. Dry surfaces quickly and thoroughly after cleaning. If you have a fan, air conditioner, or dehumidifier that wasn’t affected by flooding use it to help the surfaces dry after you finish cleaning

Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup (8 ounces) of bleach in 1 gallon of water to kill mold on surfaces. Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners.

If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:

  • Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.
  • Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
  • Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
  • Small areas (such as a shower, or an area the size of a door) can often be cleaned by residents, but larger areas might need more professional help. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product.

If you have an extensive amount of mold and you do not think you can manage the cleanup on your own, you may want to contact a professional who has experience in cleaning mold in buildings and homes.

These decisions have to be made individually. If you believe you are ill because of exposure to mold in a building, you should consult your physician to determine the appropriate action to take.

If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and CDC does not recommend or perform routine sampling for molds. No matter what type of mold is present, you should remove it. Since the effect of mold on people can vary greatly, either because of the amount or type of mold, you cannot rely on sampling and culturing to know your health risk.

Insurance policies all vary and it is important that you contact your insurance company immediately. The coverage depends upon the type and source of the damage, your specific policy, and if the damage is accidental or gradual. If the water damage was accidental and sudden, you will likely be covered. Many policies have specific limits or exclusions for mold. Check with your agency immediately. Ambar Mold Restoration will work with your insurance company and bills based upon insurance approved pricing.

Schedule your complimentary assessment now